Johnno - David Malouf

Let me begin by answering Andrew's comments:

I've never seen Death of a Salesman performed before. My play watching experience is sorely lacking unfortunately. I do love going to the theatre though...I chose to read this play purely because I know that I should. As I said, I wasn't really expecting to enjoy it but I did.

The grass is different on the other side. I feel that I'm learning more than I could ever have learnt had I stayed with Club Ed. On the other hand, I don't have a lot of time left for me anymore. However, that's changing and I'm gradually moving towards a better balance.

Thanks for asking! (c:

Well, it seems that Death of Salesman has sparked something in me. I have remembered how much pleasure I get from reading a good book. Following theme of books I should read, I picked up David Malouf's Johnno. I can't say I enjoyed this as much as Death of a Salesman, but I still enjoyed it. I found the writing very good and it was this that kept me reading the book. However, I did like the end of the book.

Perhaps the most interseting thing about the book was the descriptions of Brisbane long before I knew it. I can't say that I'm that familiar with Brisbane's history in the 20th Century...the stuff on either side, yes.

Johnno is quite a short book...more like a long short story than a novel. I think this suited me and it suits the story...it's not really a story, it's more like a long character description. Until the end of the book, it really doesn't really matter what's going on in the character's lives unless it serves to symbolise something the characters are feeling.

I enjoyed reading Johnno - I pretty much read it in one sitting. Liek Death of a Salesman, I would recommend it and I'll most likely read it again someday.

2 comments:

  1. Andrew said,

    Thanks for the answers. Appreciated.

    Now that you have read the play - it would be an interesting experience to see a live performance.

    You said:
    "I chose to read this play purely because I know that I should."

    Peer presure? Cultural pressure? Can you nail it down further - I know that may be difficult.

    "grass is different on the other side"
    Congratulations yet again :)
    Especailly for moving towards a better balance.

    Now that you have read David Malouf's book let me tell you something of him.

    He had a nanny named "Cassie" who was a great lady till the day she died. I used to chat with her (briefly unfortunately) on occasion when I visted my mother-in-law. They shared the same room in the nursing home.

    David Maluuf kept in contact with Cassie over the years. He never forgot her.

    No this was not idle boast.

    When I visited my Mother-in-law, on occasion, I would see David sitting by her Cassie's bed talking to her.

    Even though I recognized him, I never ever intruded. This was their time.

    This is how I remember David Malouf. For his kindness and loyalty. This impressed me the most.

    Oh yes, I think he wrote some stuff to.

    on 8:06 pm


  2. Unknown said,

    It seems that working at that place isn't conducive to work/life balance. Unless you're a work-a-holic of course :)

    And I'm with Andrew, why should you read a play? There are lots of so-called classics that I've never read/watched in all of the arts that I don't feel a lack of not seeing.

    on 9:41 pm