Death of a Salesman - Arthur Miller

Before this play, I've never actually read a play before. I can think my woeful high-school English classes for that. Every time we did a play it was, to put it bluntly, painful. Everyone taking turns to be a character and reading aloud. It still makes me shudder.

Anyway, I finished Death of a Salesman this morning and I really enjoyed it. I thought that would find the endless dialogue tedious because I generally find it a bit boring in most novels but I powered through this play (it's not long). Because it is a play, the dialogue is everything and therefore a lot of thought has gone into. Also, if I skip the dialogue, I skip the whole story!

Another thing that I enjoyed about reading this play, was deciphering the characters. Without the actors and director, the dialogue just gives a basic shell of each of the characters and I found to interesting to see how they developed just through the dialogue alone. Although it's pretty clear from the start that Willy is crazy, the other characters a bit more subtle. I quite liked the boys.

Speaking of characters, towards the end of the play, I was beginning to hope that Willy wouldn't die. A silly wish clearly, as the play isn't titled Death of a Salesman for nothing.

In other news: I have succumbed Tom's cold. It could be Vanessa's but it's more likely to have come from Tomas. I struggled through work today; Fenella is growing quickly. She was sleeping on me today and she's getting so much bigger than when we first got her; Tomas went to Port Macquarie today for site visit. He left a 4am and got back at 4pm; and I took some pseudoephedrine about 2 hours ago so now I am wide away but I need to sleep...

1 comments:

  1. Andrew said,

    Congratulations on reading the play.

    Had you ever seen it performed?

    Is this why you chose to read this play?

    Is the grass really greener on the other side :-)

    Hope work is resolving itself for you.

    ~And

    on 6:10 pm