The 2020 Summit

ABC2 is broadcasting the 2020 Summit this weekend. I'm in two minds about the Summit. 


Firstly, I think that getting people together to discuss ways to improve the country is a worthwhile thing. Debate and group contribution is generally a good way to come up with and develop good ideas into great ones. 

Secondly, it's good way to connect the government with the people who know most about their fields as well as those who may not normally be consulted.

However I'm just not that convinced about the whole thing. From what I have seen until now, it's not about putting forward ideas and bandying them about, weeding out the impractical and useless ideas until you have a set of great ideas to take to the government. All I have seen so far, are speakers standing in front of their group pushing their ideas with no chance for discussion. I am sure that there is opportunity for debate but so far, it all seems quite political. 

Also, from the telecasts I have picked up that in each group an emphasis has been placed on "cost negative" ideas. Does this mean that an idea that can be implemented cheaply will be rated over one that will require significant investment from the government and will deliver real improvement to Australians?

Finally, why is this a one-off event? Surely, turning the summit in a regular event will be beneficial to the country and ensure that we always have a good supply of fresh ideas for our future. 

One last word. Participants at the summit have dubbed themselves: summiteers which kind of makes it sound like they have an immense obstacle to overcome...

0 comments: