Really should be doing work
This afternoon I have a hair appointment. Very exciting. But I have to leave work in about half an hour to get there and everything on my todo list will take me longer than half an hour so I am choosing not to do them. So instead I will break the blogging drought by talking about some of the stuff I do at work that I'm pretty pleased with.
1. ColdFusion Validation script.
I wrote some code a little while ago that I thought was quite impressive. This code allows me and anyone else here who chooses to use it, the ability to scrap the cludginess that is JavaScript form validation in favour of Server-Side form validation and it does so in quite a streamlined manner. I won't go too far into the specifics of how it works but basically, for every form field that you have, you set up a matching pair of parameters. One parameter holds the form value and the other holds the validation information as a list. So, when you submit the form, it first goes through all of your form fields and checks to see if there is another parameter for its validation. If there is, the validation information is passed to a component which does funky stuff with it. If you want me to explain more, just ask.
2. Footlocker Animations
I have several projects at work that I consider "my" projects because I am the person who works on them most of the time. My favourite "my" project is definitely Footlocker ( http://www.footlocker.com.au). The site itself is not very good but I have a lot of fun doing the home page and locker animations. The ones live at the moment aren't anything I have done, but if you check back in a couple of weeks, I'm sure at least on of the new animations will be mine.
3. SQL
I'm not proud of all of the SQL I have written here but I am pretty proud about how much my SQL has improved. Before I started all I knew where the basics, select, insert, update and delete. Now, I know all sorts of extra stuff. I know what joins are and how to use them and the difference between an inner join and outer join. I can also write tricky stuff using variables.
4. Actionscript
I've written a couple of very tricky flash applications. Unfortunately, none of them are live right now, so I can't show you. I have started using Objects in ActionScript which is good because you can actually implement a model/view methodology.
5. The Social Club
Last year, I took over the running of the Social Club and I'm proud of what it has become. Since I've been at the helm, we have switched a "subscription" service, which pretty much means the Social Club has a constant source of income which it can spend on feeding the Emus.
Anyway, I must run now...I have successfully filled my half an hour with nothing.